A friend asked me recently to make a wordcloud with publications that arise when searching Pubmed for a particular term.
My implementation uses NCBI’s
eutils to search for the term and retrieve pubmed ids, which I in a second step query NCBI with. I chose to use the publication titles to cound word frequencies and build the wordcloud after removing common words (e.g. articles).
Since there are a few free online tools to actually draw the tool (e.g. wordle.net) I didn’t bother implementing that, but I did searched and there are a few interesting Python modules to do that as well (amueller/word_cloud seemed quite feature-complete, for example).
(Some common words removed on request (virus, etc…))